Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Rain


It was raining outside, and coincidently I was listening to "Jab Bahar Aai To" (When it drizzles then ... ) by Shaukat Ali. Though I don't know much about rain symbolizing sadness but when I was reading "The Great Gatsby" back in High School, my teacher told me that rain connotes to doleful moments in life.

I don't know how exactly do poets inscribe rain with sadness but I grew up knowing that "its when the world cries for its sorrows". Though that's not what I deem about rain. To me - It considerably brings old memories, and even the pleasant moments bring tears to eyes. Rain ... Rain is a cordial of memories.

I stepped right where the settled water created a big splash; as I lost my concentration and looked down at my feet to see if the splash completely drenched my clothes - I saw it! Struggling to float, in need of a hard surface to step on, dry to say the least. It was paddling the legs as fast as it could have, but going nowhere. There was water, everywhere. An ocean and nowhere to go but paddle to stay alive. Rain pouring on it, making things even more rigid. I stood there, watching it struggle, seeing it hopeless, knew that it had no chance; and maybe I wasn't the only one who knew!

I knew how it felt to be there, when you are just hopeless, flatten, and forlorn of all hopes. I stepped once more, but this time, on it. I looked straight up, mouth opened, eyes stuttering, rain pouring - I wanted to stare right at Him. Then I looked down with anguish - it was dead.

I walked away wondering; If I were down there, I would've kept paddling, struggling - but I would've never drowned myself, even if I wished ... to die!

2 Comments:

Blogger TakeOnLife said...

dude u are a writer and a real good one

11:37 PM  
Blogger watersprite said...

Poetic. Its fascinating how rain takes on different meanings for everyone. For me rain has always symbolized happiness, even anger but never sorrow. I like the slant you've taken to make it more poignant. I think your rain is better then mine. :)

PS - Ive added you on, hope its alright with you.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home